Message from your President…
Message from your President…
Your Suncoast Blues Society just wrapped up another busy year. Here are some of the things your Board accomplished in 2022 that reflect our mission statement:
Dedicated to celebrating and promoting the musical genre known as the blues,
- Participated in 23 events which included 8 major Blues Festivals
preserving it’s history and traditions, supporting blues musicians,
- Hosted 8 Blues in the Community (BITC) events
- Created partnerships with 4 new venues (Masaryk Winery, Bayboro Brewery, Red Star Live, and Palladium) to promote bBues music
- Hosted 6 of our own events, including
- Tas Cru @ Bayboro Brewery
- Giving Challenge events at Bayboro and the Music Compound
- Memphis Lightning and Trey Wanvig @ Gill Dawg for IBC sendoff!
- Alastair Greene at the Side Door / Palladium
- Our 25th Anniversary Party @ Skippers that had EVERYONE dancing!
- Annual Beach Bash
and sharing blues music with current and future generations in the Tampa Bay Area.
- Awarded our first ever Blues Foundation IBC Youth Showcase sponsorship – Trey Wanvig
- Partnered with Chuck Ross to sponsor Youth Day at the Tampa Bay Blues Fest –
And recruited 3 new Board members – allow me to introduce them to you…
You would never guess by talking to him (lol), but Vinny was born and raised in NY. He has been in love with music since the day he was born and has been broadcasting radio music shows since he was 16.
Vinny began writing album reviews and conducting written interviews with musicians that led to his creating Music On The Couch. That can now be heard, along with his other show Roots & Fruits, on the True Grit Roots Network. “I love what the Suncoast Blues Society does and how they are constructed and I want to be a part of it and help continue to grow in this area.”
Carole is a native of St. Louis, home to many famous Blues musicians and grew up playing music and attending concerts. These early musical experiences provided the basis of her love and appreciation of musicians and their craft. Carole became a member of the Suncoast Blues Society shortly after moving to Florida in 2015 – you may recognize her as the lovely lady who is always willing to take your money in exchange for a cool shirt or a new CD at one of our SBS events. Carole has been a member of civic organizations in her hometown of New Port Richey for seven years, volunteering at many charity events. “I am looking forward to applying my leadership and organizational skills to the advancement of the Suncoast Blues Society.”
Mark Thompson (aka Big Kahuna)
Mark is a past Board member and former President of the Suncoast Blues Society. After stepping aside for a few years, he has decided to return to the Board in hopes of working on developing a stronger Blues in the Schools presence, initially in the Bradenton community and spreading from there, by establishing solid partnerships with organizations like Realize Bradenton to accomplish that goal. Mark is also a writer for Blues Blast Magazine, Blues Music Magazine, and the Chicago Blues Guide website. “I have been listening to Blues music for more than five decades.”